Tuesday 18 June 2013

The 2013/14 fixtures are out but you know it's quiet when there is only cricket to follow!

Monday saw the release of the fixtures for the 2013-2014 Elite League season which for some (and myself included!) was a highlight in a pretty slow and painful off season.  For myself and many other Panthers fans, two Scottish road trips and a final weekend trip to Belfast were the highlight of the upcoming season. Questions will be asked over the logic of whether a game on New Years Eve is a good idea, but all in all I was happy if for no other reason than we had foolishly booked a holiday for the first week in September and we are going to miss the season opener which thankfully is against Hull as opposed to the Steelers or the Blaze (no disrespect intended Stingrays fans!). In addition, the second Scottish weekend falls the day after my wife's birthday so that's as good as an excuse as any to make our maiden visits to see the Clan, Flyers and Capitals on the road!

So that got me thinking about Corey Neilsons recruitment strategy this summer.....

Things have been quiet, just take a look at The Cage Forum, but was it to be expected? Is it that we have signed more players than we are letting on and are simply drip feeding signings throughout the summer? It was always going to be difficult retaining the majority grand slam winning roster as with success comes attention and with attention comes more lucrative offers. However early indications suggest to me that many of last seasons import league winners aren't coming back to Nottingham.

Captain Jordan Fox has signed up in North America for a player/coach role, Lepine and Wilson are also openly trying to get a contract over there too. Many will have also read the recent news article which indicated that Ling may well have played his last competitive hockey game. Some may be hoping that no news is good news in respect of Beckett, Gallivan, Werner and Graham. This coupled with the fact that Matty Myers has returned to home to Cardiff may be leaving Panthers fans wondering whether last seasons league triumph was just a one off?

I would say it's too early to judge that yet. We have re-signed Lachowicz, Weaver, Francis, Benedict and Norton whilst Clarke, Lee and Kowalski were on multi-year deals. In addition to that Neilson has added new players in Boxill, Loyns, Caparo and Salters. It is my view that Boxill could be a replacement for Levers who is yet to sign (that I am aware of) but for me the one I am most looking forward to seeing play is Leigh Salters.

Alot of Panthers fans thought very highly of Kelsey Wilson last season but from where I was sat I just didn't get it. I am all for intimidating the opposition however he was at times a complete liability and didn't put up the numbers to justify it either. Salters looks like a direct replacement and from what I have read can certainly handle himself. However if he can get the balance right we can have edge in the oppositions zone whilst also putting up numbers which benefit the team.

On a separate note I have to say I have been impressed with the recruitment undertaken by Coventry and Cardiff  and expect them to be far more competitive this year which is certainly a good thing for the league and conference. I also think that anyone who thinks that Rob Dowd is the messiah in Sheffield needs to look at themselves seriously and until they have signed a decent net minder they aren't serious contenders in my opinion.

So lastly I ask the question 'What are most Panthers fans hoping for in next season?'

Last season was special, extremely special and I am privileged that I got to see them win the three trophies and also that my two year old boy got to witness it, even though he won't remember too much of it!! Next season I hope we remain as competitive, give a proud showing in Europe to help raise the profile of UK hockey and that when we board the flight for that final weekend in Belfast, we are still in with a shout!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment