Monday 15 July 2013

C'mon the Clan, Welcoming the Wren & Steelers Still Behind?

In my last blog I talked about how I thought the Blaze were recruiting well this summer and another blog written by Paul Wheeler, which can be found at chasingthedragons.wordpress.com highlighted why he thought the Cardiff Devils may also be title challengers this year and I agree with alot comments he made so there would be little point in repeating them. However one team I feel is flying under the radar so far is Braehead.

Now I will be the first to admit that I love Ryan Finnerty, I love the fact that I despise him! As a player I hated the way he got in everybodys face and I was genuinely disappointed when he retired as the game needs characters like him. So you could argue that when he became head coach at the Steelers it was like Christmas come early, one of my most hated players coaching my most hated team, this is what Saturday night hockey is all about in my opinion as it adds that extra level of spice and excitement.

Despite that fact that in 2 seasons as coach at the Steelers he was unable to bring them a trophy, last season in particular I always thought that tactically the Steelers had our number and were able to nullify our attacking threat pretty effectively. So from my perspective and I acknowledge this isn't one that had the benefit of watching the Steelers on a regular basis, had they managed to not lose their discipline during key points during games then maybe the Panthers would have had to wait a little longer for their first league title.

There is a lot of pressure of Finnerty now, which you would think contradicts the fact that he has moved up to Glasgow. But he has a point to prove. No trophies of the 6 available during his time in Sheffield and the playing budget he will have been given in Sheffield won't have been to be sniffed at either.

However after a slow start, I have to say I am impressed with his recruitment. First Matt Haywood who I think is developing into a decent Brit re-signed and he will hope he can kick on from his 30 point haul last season.  When the signing of Chris Frank was announced I was beginning to get a little concerned, almost hoping that this wasn't the start of what I thought was part of the Steelers/Finnerty's 'Goon Squad' from last season. However the only other Steeler to follow Finnerty north to date is Lee Esders and unfortunately I feel that Clan fans are going to find out that his mouth far exceeds his talent.

Other additions to the Clan squad include Scott Aarssen, Shane Lust and Ed McGrane who looks like a quality player. But the thing that would be pleasing me the most as a Clan fan is that none of these players look like they spend alot of time in the penalty box.  I am hoping this means that Finnerty has grown as a coach and is developing a more disciplined and talented squad because with the Erhardt Conference shaping up to be more competitive this season there really is an opportunity for Braehead to mount a serious title challenge. You add to this the addition of Kevin Bergin as player/assistant coach who was one of my first 'favourite' players when I started watching the Panthers 4 years ago just because of his work ethic and tenacity and you have to respect what Braehead are trying to build for next season.

In other news, this week Panthers announced the signing of Bob Wren. Now I will be the first to admit that at first I wasn't impressed. He will turn 39 shortly after the season starts and despite the success of Ling last season, the Elite League next season seems like it is going to be a more physical place to play and skillful forwards are going to find their time on the puck limited. However after reviewing his career stats I have to say I am starting to warm to him. He doesn't look like he is afraid of spending time in the box and that can only be a good thing. The rest of his stats speak for themselves and we have to trust Neilson not to give him too much ice time. There was a thread started on the Cage Forum offering opinions on how we will line up next season and one recurring suggesting was Ling (assuming he returns), Loyns and Wren would be on the same line. Unfortunately for me this doesn't work for two reasons. Firstly because I don't think Ling will be coming back next season but secondly because if he does, I don't think Ling and Wren should be on the same line. I think they are very similar players and the opposition will find it too tempting to pack their defensive lines with big strong guys to try and neutralise the threat.

Lastly and probably not a surprise, the Steelers confirmed the signing of Frank Doyle. I don't think the press releases helped the guy as it made him sound more committed to his education so lets hope for all the Steelers fans sakes this isn't the case. However despite Doyle's quality, I think the Steeler's recruitment is still someway behind the rest of their conference rivals so far this summer and this is something I may look at in a future blog. They have another signing announcement tomorrow morning and that might change everything.............

No comments:

Post a Comment