Saturday 3 August 2013

Menei a problem for Sheffield!

It was officially confirmed this morning that Ryan Menei wouldn't be joining the Steelers this season. It came as a surprise to few as Steeltalk had figured this out before it broke, but what may have come as a surprise is the reason for Menei's change of heart.
According to Steelers owner Tony Smith in The Star,  Menei changed his mind because his wife didn't want to come to the UK.
Now I don't often find myself in the position where I sympathise with the Steelers, however this sort of thing is simply not acceptable and I can understand their frustrations. Surely before Ryan agreed to the contract, he spoke in length with his family and what the implications would be.  It's not like I would take a job in the US without speaking with my wife and discussing in great detail what the implications would be for her and our child.
On the plus side for Sheffield though, should the rumours be true and Tuesdays signing announcement be that of Stefan Meyer then that should go some way to alleviating the disappointment. Although the club have stressed that Tuesdays signing is not a replacement,  you have to hope if you're a Steelers fan that Menei's replacement isn't going to be a certain Mr Galbraith.
However this is as far as my sympathy for those up the road goes as they still can't get someone to proof read a simple press release and Mr Smith couldn't help but point out that apparently the Panthers had offered Mr Menei an extra £200 per week to join us. I bet Corey is gutted right now!

No comments:

Post a Comment